A BRIEF HISTORY
Ebenezer takes its name from Scripture:
“Then Samuel took a stone and set it up
between Mizpah and Shen.
He named it Ebenezer (“stone of help”) saying,
‘Thus far has the Lord helped us.’”
--- I Samuel 7: 12
The roots of Ebenezer go back to the Scotch Irish settlers of Wolf Creek Township who built a structure at the crossroads of Scrubgrass Road and the old Harrisville Road. Eighteen hundred fifty-four is the date designated as that of the founding, but there is evidence that a church existed before then.
In 1893, in an effort to provide more space for Christian Education and to find a more favorable location, a new building was constructed in Centertown. The congregation grew, and in 1937 a basement was built under the structure. On February 11, 1958, this church was destroyed by fire.
After a period of deliberation, during which the congregation worshipped with the Springfield Church congregation, a brick church was constructed at a new site on Scrubgrass Road, just east of Route 173. The present church structure was dedicated on March 6, 1960.
Ebenezer Church At Centertown
1854 Designated founding of the church
1871 Joined the Butler Presbytery of the United Presbyterian Church of North America
1879 Disbanded. Church was sold to J.C. Irwin for $75.50
1881 Ebenezer Congregation reformed and bought back the church for $80
1883 First Installed pastor
1893 September 23 Centertown Church was constructed at a cost of $2,036.80. The church debt was liquidated in 1898.
1903 Joint parish with Springfield
1914 Scotch Hill joined to form a triple charge
Early 1930's, Centertown was the first church in the area to have electric lights when Claire Gildersleeve wired the church and ran a 32-volt generator in his garage to the church providing enough power for lights.
1958 February 11 Fire destroyed Centertown Church
1960 March 6 Dedication of new church building on Scrubgrass Rd
1963 These churches joined together to form a parish: Amity, Ebenezer, Irwin, Millbrook, Scotch Hill and Springfield
1980 Ebenezer withdrew from the parish
1994 Installation of 45 stained-glass windows by John Meyerhoff of Grove City
1995 Hired first full time pastor
Sign from the side of the Centertown Church, removed during the fire.
(February 11, 1958)
The sign sits upon a part of the original hand-hewn beam, which was later used in Ellsworth Jamison's sheep barn.